Lipoedema, also known as Painful Fat Syndrome is a progressive condition that occurs mostly in women. The disease mainly affects the legs, although arms and other parts of the body can be affected.
Symptoms of Lipoedema
- The legs are enlarged bilaterally arms too can be affected
- The waist is small in proportion to thighs, buttocks and legs
- Feet and hands are exempt and a 'bracelet' effect can appear just above the ankles and wrists
- Legs/arms can be extremely painful, even to touch
- Affected limbs bruise easily
- The fat is soft to touch and wobbly, while skin can be cold to touch
- Lipoedema can become worse in hot weather
- Diet and exercise, while important, can have minimal effect
- Increase in Lipoedema is often noticed when significant hormonal changes happen
- Skin can have a cellulite like appearance.